Hi everyone,
Well, we're back in Hong Kong now after a fantastic summer in Grand Rapids. Our flight back went much better than the flight to GR. (Thanks for the prayers!) When I was in O'Hare, I ran into friends of ours that were heading back to Hong Kong on the same flight! They were seated only about five rows ahead of us, and the kids were able to move around a bit together. Dawn and I were also able to chat, which made the time go faster. Sam and I are still experiencing some jetlag, but we'll be fine within a couple more days. Emily is amazing however - she has slept through the night ever since we got back!
I had such a wonderful time with all of you this summer! It was busy packing it all into six weeks, but could it have been any more fun?! I have always liked analogies, so of course I've thought of a couple to explain what coming home was like. My first thought was that coming home was like eating comfort food, but I like the second one even better - it was like putting on your favorite pair of jeans (which really shouldn't be referred to after comfort food!).
...Okay, I am resuming writing this post after a few days - I thought I would get back to finish it sooner! Anyway, we are now over the jetlag. It was great when Sam and I finally slept through the night! We've spent the week getting back into the swing of things here and just spending a lot of time playing and swimming. The kids have all their school supplies ready; Sam is especially excited about his new backpack. :) They start school (full day) on Thursday.
The weather has been absolutely gorgeous here. I thought it would be terribly hot and humid, but it's been very nice every day. The sky is even blue with just a few clouds! (That's spectacular for Hong Kong.) What I didn't know is that there is a southern wind during the summer, which means that none of the pollution from China's factories is blown over here. Taking advantage of the clear skies, we did a little sightseeing on Saturday. We went up to the Big Buddha (yes, he is VERY big!) and had amazing views of Lantau Island. Afterward, we looked around the adjacent monastery and then took the cable car back down to Tung Chung. What an interesting trip! Dave took lots of pictures, so I'll post them soon.
Well, I'll make sure to post an update again soon. It was so nice to hear how many of you have enjoyed my blog! While I'm still enjoying Hong Kong very much, I'm definitely missing you...
Holly
P.S. Below are the "answers" to the British/Australian words and phrases.
Things or Places:
tea = dinnerplaster = Bandaid
hoover = vacuum
lounge = living room
garden = yard
swim costume = swimsuit
nappy = diaper
softie = ice cream
cross = x
crisps = potato chips
purse = wallet
docket = receipt
buggy = golf cart or stroller
trousers = pants
pram = stroller
lead = leash (for a dog)
telly = TV
loo = toilet/restroom
flannel = sheets
rubber = eraser
jumper = sweater
chips = French fries
rubbish = trash
diary = calendar
knickers = underwear
biscuit = cookie
pudding = dessert
bubble = balloon
fairy cakes = cupcakes
candy floss = cotton candy
wardrobe = closet
handbag = purse
jelly = Jello
tick = check mark
Ida down = comforter
Phrases or expressions:
straight away = right away
oi = Oh!
muck up = mess up
well done = good job
ring = call
post = mail
tidy up = clean up
No comments:
Post a Comment